Tips for Contextualizing Content for Fully Integrated IET Programming
- When possible, use the training texts and training materials to contextualize literacy and numeracy.
- Occupational Training Resources: If authentic materials from the target training partners are unavailable prior to the start of training, use relevant materials from other texts or from prepared career kits.
TIPS FOR CONTEXTUALIZING DURING OCCUPATIONAL TRAINING
- Use occupational training content and resources, such as textbooks and manuals, to contextualize academic skill building (i.e., the literacy and numeracy skills needed to succeed in training).
- Use occupational training content and resources, such as textbooks and manuals, to contextualize workplace readiness activities (See the table below with definitions and sample activities.)
- Contextualize academic instruction with workplace readiness activities and occupational training content. See the table of sample activities below.
TIPS FOR CONTEXTUALIZING PRIOR TO OR AFTER THE COMPLETION OF OCCUPATIONAL TRAINING
- Engage learners with stackable online credentials, such as OSHA 10 and NCCER Core.
- Frontload occupational vocabulary study from training resources.
- Frontload occupational math skills from training resources
- Frontload occupational skills, such as map reading and blueprint reading.
- Prepare for occupational certification(s).