- Career Clusters: The National Career Clusters® Framework, from Advance CTE: As an organizing tool for curriculum design and instruction, Career Clusters provide the essential knowledge and skills for the 16 Career Clusters and their Career Pathways. It also functions as a useful guide in developing programs of study bridging secondary and postsecondary curriculum and for creating individual student plans of study for a complete range of career options.
- Employment Resources, Office of Refugee Resettlement, Office of Health and Human Resources: Refugees seeking employment in the United States can face many difficulties ranging from understanding hiring processes, to needing new certifications and credentials, to discrimination. The following resources provide information on how to address these difficulties.
Curriculum & Lesson Plans
- Developing Basics Skills Curriculum for an IET: A Guide for the Pathways to Employment Program, Institute for the Study of Adult Literacy (ISAL), The Pennsylvania State University, 2015. This guide is the primary resource for the!basic skills training, not occupational skills training. It is designed to enable Title II providers and their training partners to adapt existing curriculum and/or develop new basic skills curriculum to help adult education students successfully complete occupational skills training and move forward on a career path.
- Basic Curricular Lesson Plans, Integrated Education and Training (IET) Library, A Pathways to Employment Initiative, Penn State, 2017. In this online resource find:
1. Emergency Medical Technician Lesson Plans;
2. Fit4 Healthcare/Foundational Skills in Healthcare Lesson Plans;
3. FIT4 Advanced Manufacturing/Foundational Skills in Manufacturing Lesson Plans; and
4. Mechanical Components/Mechanical Maintenance Foundations Lesson Plans
- Curriculum and Assessment: Resources for Teachers, Morgan Hill Community Adult School: This site provides a list of outstanding national resources that will aid teachers in helping their students advance in the Career Pathway system.
- Lesson Bank from Kentucky Adult Education: The KYAE Skills U Lesson Bank is a repository of standards-based units and lessons created by KYAE Skills U instructors. KYAE Skills U has developed a process for lesson acceptance which includes a template with specific guidance on what should be included in each section, and a rubric for scoring. All lessons and units have undergone a rigorous vetting process to ensure they are relevant and appropriate to the adult learner.
Lesson Plans for Community-Based Literacy Program Volunteers and Staff That Teach the Lowest Literacy Level Adult Learners
- Integrating Workplace Skills in General ESL Classes, PDF Handouts from CATESOL 2011, Ronna Magy, SBCGlobal.net and Donna Price, San Diego Community College Continuing Ed.
- Educator’s Toolkit for Career and Education Planning, Florida Department of Education. This Toolkit provides easy access to classroom activities, lesson plans, and related web-based resources. Each module includes a module description, lesson plans with student handouts, recommended websites for additional information, and a glossary for the unit. This online resource, designed for middle school children but easy to modify for low literate adults, includes the following modules: